Monday 1 March 2010

Books are Idols and words have magic...

A sentiment I have long possessed but have recently not only been thinking about but declaring to anyone who will listen, or at least feign some degree of interest so I can say my piece. At 23 years old I honest say I could not be happier or more content with those people that have secured a special place in my heart; friendships are paramount. However, such close friends seem to have, in general, certain personality traits and characteristics (yet obviously there always exists anomalies) - this is to broadly sum up: creative art/design/fashion types who realise that the world is their oyster and, as thus, are too scared to make those important, initial steps to taking their (happy and content) place within it ALSO on a less profound level it seems that no one really reads, and when they do it is for necessary academic work. There are one, two or three people I have and can talk book to but not a regular basis or people with whom I see with a certain degree of frequency. It is so frustrating to have just read an amazing passage in something and wanting to share it with someone, but knowing that the processing of informing said someone (with necessary convoluted explanations of context and such..) would just result in dejection and even nullify that which first inspired grand and wonderful thoughts! So I am venting my love of words, in the form of what I am currently reading, here for nobody and everyone to read. 

In regards to my own literary tastes and trends, and the direction the are taking, I feel it necessary to note that until recently, when I started the current book (/trilogy) I'm reading, 'The Cornish Trilogy' by Robertson Davies, it had seemed a long time I had been taken over by a fictitious text so completely and wholly. On the whole I must admit that I find it rather hard to be impressed by a lot of endings I have read. What is written at that point, besides all that which has previously been said, needs to truly grated upon ones soul. 


'The Cornish Trilogy (The Rebel Angels, What's Bred in the Bone, The Lyre of Orpheus) - Robertson Davies - Published by Penguin (1991) - ISBN-10: 0140144463
Buy for around £11.16  


'Whose Body is it Anyway?: Justice and the Integrity of the Person' - Cecile Fabre - Published by Oxford University Press (2006) - ISBN-10: 0199289999 
 Buy (in paperback) for around £19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment