Wednesday 17 February 2010

For Tabitha...and what we share in Twilight...

Once I would never have suspected that I would fall victim to the Twilight Saga craze but I have to admit, albeit denying there be any metaphorical egg on my face, I am growing to appreciate more and more... It's not entirely unexpected, what with a (healthy) Harry Potter interest spanning some *coughs* 12 years and enjoying all things (well, most things...one has to draw a line somewhere..) Lords of the Rings it seems to follow suit that a new literary spurred craze would catch my attention. 

The difference with Twilight, however, is that in both cases previously mentioned I was a devout lover of that which spawned mass interest - the books. Yet, two films later (and I must admit I did have no interest in even seeing the original film, but a leisurely day at my parents with little to do but watch films opened my mind to opportunity - and I must admit the werewolf guy (see my previous ignorance?!) did catch my attention as being crazy hot) I have an appreciation that little of my peers share. I've started on the books, naturally, which I read to discern the ins and outs of the protagonists lives - I think any more mature reader, and especially boys, need to appreciate why the stories would perhaps pull a predominately more female readership. 

Anyway, the point of this, the perhaps most boring and self-indulgent blog entry to date, is that there is but one person within my friendship group who is on a similar wavelength (if not actually bordering on obsession, which she will very well admit..), that person being Tabitha - a kindred lover of the Harry Potter and LOTR sagas now she has helped galvanize a concern for Twilight... and I sincerely thank you!! (I even found myself wishing and hoping that Jacob would come out on top of the pale, 'tortured' and altogether too-much-effort-in-my-opinion Edward Vampire Face). What inspired this early morning drone was that whilst on my lunch break in Covent Garden I walked passed CyberCandy (visit www.cybercandy.co.uk) and had to double take when I spotted below picture in the window... after getting over the initial anxiety of appearing like one of the surrounding tourists (and a 23 year old loser gay who likes Twilight.. they probably thought I was one of those who went to the New Moon premier with a band of female follows waving 'Jacob Rules' banners and writing 'Team Jacob' in thick black maker pen on my forehead - well I WASN'T I say, it's all lies and propaganda..). It's actually pure amazing and you bet that when circumstances dictate the need to procure a present for Fab Tabs she will happily be eating her box of Edward, Bella and Jacob beans... shame they're not imprinted with an image of their faces.. just imagine the scenarios that could be enacted. 



Yum. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. HOW can you compare the litarary genuis of LOTR with a series of vampire flicks? That's not the same- LOTR is a classic because it is great writing,and Harry Potter would not have been so popular if it hadn't been such a good read. The fact that your a geek and like all this hocus pocus stuff ties in your Twilight obsession with your love of the two afore mentioned novel series. Twilight is trash compared with Tolkien, and I feel that so much of the magic and fantasy of a book (especially novels such as LOTR and Harry Potter that are so fantastical) is lost when you translate it onto the screen, not only are there limitations with film and television in terms of what you can do but you're also seeing it as one person has imagined it to be.
    BAH HUMBUG!
    L

    ReplyDelete